Joyful and Triumphant
1. Where is the boundary between appropriate and inappropriate sorrow?
2. What does biblical joy look like? Does it mean always being upbeat and smiling? If not, then what does it mean?
3. If suffering is for our ultimate good, should we always try to avoid it (through prayer, medicine, better circumstances, etc.)? Why or why not?
4. If being a Christian does not insulate us from sad circumstances (e.g. Stephen), how can Jesus say that our joy “no one will take from you” (Jn 16:22)?
5. How does Jesus’ message to “Cheer up” in the face tribulation (Jn 16:33) play out in real life? What practical examples can you come up with?